Posted in On the Desktop, Step By Step Tutorials, The Web, tagged chat, Chat bots, Gmail, Google, Google Talk, Hindi, India, Indian Languages, Transliteration on August 13, 2008|
3 Comments »
If you are an Orkut user you probably know what I am going to talk about here. I am speaking about Transliteration, which essentially means that you can type in one language and have that converted to another language.
Google already offers transliteration in Orkut and many users know about it. However did you know that you can now chat in Indian languages in Gmail and Google Talk Labs Edition also?
Follow these steps to chat in Indian languages (currently 5 are supported) in Google Talk.
- Add a transliteration bot to your friend list. There are 5 of them available currently: (firstname.lastname@example.org for Hindi, email@example.com for Kannada, firstname.lastname@example.org for Telugu, email@example.com for Tamil and firstname.lastname@example.org for Malayalam)
- Start chatting with your friend.
- Convert the chat session to a group chat and invite the particular bot (you added in step 1) to the group chat.
From now on whatever you type in english will be converted to the appropriate language by the bot. Have a look:
|Chat in Indian Languages
You might have to enable Indic fonts if you dont see them correctly. Here is some more information on Indic Fonts
Read Full Post »
Posted in Step By Step Tutorials, The Web, tagged chat, Gmail, Google, Google Talk, Hack, invisible, tip, trick on July 20, 2008|
27 Comments »
As you might be knowing from quite some time you can go invisible while chatting on Gmail. The invisible status is available in Gmail Chat, Google Talk gadget, Google Talk Labs Edition and Google Talk for iPhone .
What to do if you want to know if someone in really offline or is playing Mr. Hideous or as we call here in India – "Mr. India" ?
Follow these steps:
Open the chat window for the contact you want to confirm is offline of invisible
If you see a message "The chat is off record" then proceed to step 3, else click on options in the chat window (Gmail) or the down pointing arrow (Gtalk) and choose "Go Off Record" You will now surely see that "The chat is off record"
Now you need to interpret what you get.
- If you get a message in red like below, this indicates that the user is really offline.
|This shows the contact is offline
- If you get nothing then the user is invisible, or any status updates in gray it means the user is online but invisible.
|This shows the contact is invisible
Read Full Post »