Quite some time back I posted the alternate URLs that you can use to get to Google, now its time to do the same for Digg. All the following urls point to Digg. Be creative in their use!!
Posted in The Web | Tagged alternate, Digg, Google | 1 Comment »
Have a look, this is what readers like on this blog. Yes, that includes you too! Oh your lovely eyes.. keep them on the monitor please, would you?
This step by step tutorial offers insights on how to create a search plugin for your site or any site that appears in the Firefox search engines on the right.
As you might be knowing from quite some time you can go invisible
while chatting on Gmail. The invisible status is available in Gmail
Chat, Google Talk gadget, Google Talk Labs Edition and Google Talk for iPhone .What to do if you want to know if someone in really offline or is playing Mr.[…]
After my earlier post on Remote Desktop Access,
I have been asked by friends to explain in detail how to set up Remote
Desktop Access. Lets start with the easy one then, shall we?
Here is a step by step guide to use TeamViewer:
Step 1. Download TeamViewer(full version) here.
If you ever wondered where is your disk space flying away when you
don’t seem to have a lot of media files and Gigabytes of music you
might want to take a deeper look. First off let me put things into
perspective, being a blogger I have to keep trying new softwares and
tips and tricks to make sure that you the readers get nothing but the
best and validated and working stuff. So today when I wanted to install
some stuff I found that I have only 1 GB of disk space left. I[…]
Tabbed browsing is one of the most(if not the most) important
features of modern browsers, and when the browser is Firefox you can
expect some extra customizations. Here is a complete (I tried to make
it) guide to a better tabbed browsing experience:
Posted in General Blog Info, The Web | Tagged about, readers choice, top posts | 3 Comments »
We all have used and encountered zip files in our day to day work. However this one is different. It is referred to as the zip bomb!
Have a look at 42.zip
. There is a zip file 42 KB in size but when you extract it it occupies a about 45PB that’s Peta Bytes!
How is it possible here is the logic they provide:
The file contains 16 zipped files, which again contains 16 zipped files, which again contains 16 zipped files, which again contains 16 zipped, which again contains 16 zipped files, which contain 1 file, with the size of 4.3GB.
So, if you extract all files, you will most likely run out of space 🙂
How was 4.3 GB file compressed so much? Simply because it had all zeroes, so high redundancy and thus greater compression
Extract and let me know how much did it occupy 😉
Posted in The Web | Tagged compress, fun, zip file | Leave a Comment »
You probably already knew that you can go secure with your Gmail account by using https in place of http in the address bar. Going secure protects you from eaves dropping and is even of greater importance if you are concerned about your privacy while using wifi. It means that your mail goes encrypted between your browser and the Gmail servers.
Well it turns out that soon you will be able to do this natively using your account settings in Gmail. Check out the Settings for your Gmail account for a setting like this:
If you don’t have it till now, have patience you will get it soon. An important point to consider before going secure is that it can make your mail experience slower (only slightly though).
Posted in The Web, What's Hot on web | Tagged encryption, Gmail, https, new features, secure | Leave a Comment »
There is a giveaway on the Internet these days for those of you who are looking for a tool to optimize and manage your computers. Its a 6 Months license for the popular “System Mechanic” software. So you can use it for 6 months and then decide if you like it enough or not. Here is what System Mechanic is all about:
“Fix problems, boost performance, eliminate crashes and more with System Mechanic”
System Mechanic is a software that offers you a centralized system dashboard to automatically perform all vital PC maintenance by diagnosing, reporting, and resolving computer problems and performance bottlenecks.
This award-winning utility suite is trusted by millions worldwide to secure, optimize, repair, and tune-up their systems.
Some of the Great features of System Mechanic are:
- ActiveCare® 2.0 keeps your PC running like new — New ActiveCare 2.0 just got leaner, smarter, and even better at keeping your PC humming along at full speed. And it does this silently in the background, only working when your PC is on but not in use.
- Defragment and Compact Registry tool – next–generation Defragment and Compact Registry tool now performs a comprehensive analysis of your registry, detects performance–draining bloat, and displays wasted space with instructive, color–coded graphics.
- DriveSense™ — Real-time hard drive status.
- New navigational links within the tools simplify moving throughout System Mechanic.
- iolo’s library of programs and program components has been expanded to target resource-robbing programs unnecessarily clogging your PC’s startup process and to detect potentially dangerous software.
- PC TotalCare™ performs a complete system tune-up by running all Power Tool functions in one pass.
How to get a free license for Six Months :
- Go here.
- Press the “Continue” button.
- Complete the checkout process using a valid email address, Select the Email Delivery option.
- Download System Mechanic 8.
- While installing, choose “I own system mechanic and can enter my serial later” option and click Next.
- Enter the Activation Code that you received on your email.
Posted in On the Desktop, What's Hot on web | Tagged free, free software, giveaway, system mechanic, Windows | 2 Comments »
As you might be knowing from quite some time you can go invisible while chatting on Gmail. The invisible status is available in Gmail Chat, Google Talk gadget, Google Talk Labs Edition and Google Talk for iPhone .
What to do if you want to know if someone in really offline or is playing Mr. Hideous or as we call here in India – "Mr. India" ?
Follow these steps:
Open the chat window for the contact you want to confirm is offline of invisible
If you see a message "The chat is off record" then proceed to step 3, else click on options in the chat window (Gmail) or the down pointing arrow (Gtalk) and choose "Go Off Record" You will now surely see that "The chat is off record"
Now you need to interpret what you get.
- If you get a message in red like below, this indicates that the user is really offline.
|This shows the contact is offline
- If you get nothing then the user is invisible, or any status updates in gray it means the user is online but invisible.
|This shows the contact is invisible
Posted in Step By Step Tutorials, The Web | Tagged chat, Gmail, Google, Google Talk, Hack, invisible, tip, trick | 27 Comments »
Tabbed browsing is one of the most(if not the most) important features of modern browsers, and when the browser is Firefox you can expect some extra customizations. Here is a complete (I tried to make it) guide to a better tabbed browsing experience:
Tab Related Shortcuts:
|Open a new tab
||Ctrl + T
|Close current tab
||Ctrl + W
|Cycle through open tabs
||Ctrl + Tab (right), Shift + Ctrl + Tab (left)
|Switch to a tab
||Ctrl + [1-9] ,where 1-9 is the number of the tab
|Middle Click on link
||Opens in new tab
|Middle Click on open tab
||Closes the tab
|Ctrl + Click on a link
||Opens in new tab
|Open Closed Tab
||Ctrl + Shift + T
Tabs Related Preferences
Type about:config in the address/location bar to access the following preferences.
- browser. link. open_external :
- Modifies where to open external link sent by other applications like IM client, AV etc, Values: 3: open link in new tab in current window, 2: Open link in new window, 1: Open link in current tab
- browser. tabs. autoHide:
- Behavior for the tab bar when only one tab exists
True (default): Hide the tab bar
False: Always show the tab bar
Can also be changed via – Tools > Options > Tabs
- browser. tabs.closeButtons:
- This preference controls how close buttons can be displayed on tabs.
0: Display a close button on the active tab only
1: (default) Display a close button on each tab
2: Don’t display any close buttons
3: Display a single close button at the end of the tab bar
- browser. tabs. loadInBackground
- Determine whether new tabs get the focus or open in background
True (default): Do not focus new tabs opened from links (load in background)
False: Opposite of above
This can also be changed via "Tools → Options → Tabs → When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"
- Determines the min width of any background tab on which FF will show a close button, in other words if the width of tab is less than this value and the tab is a background tab, close button will not be shown on that particular tab. Browser.tabs.closeButtons has a effect on this.
Value: Any positive integer value
- browser.tabs.tabMinWidth, browser.tabs.tabMaxWidth
- Controls the minimum and maximum widths of the tabs
Value: Any positive integer value
Useful Tab Addons
Colorful Tabs : Colors every tab in a different color and makes them easy to distinguish while beautifying the overall appearance of the interface
Tab Scope : Allows you to preview and navigate tab contents through a popup.
Undo Closed Tabs Button : This extension allows you to undo closed tabs via a toolbar and/or tab bar button or the right-click context menu.
Tab Sidebar : Displays previews of your tabs in your sidebar.
You can view other tab related addons here
- You can drag and drop tabs on the tab bar to re-arrange them the way you want.
- If you happen to find text like varunkashyap.wordpress.com which is not clickable but you want to open it, simple select the text and then drag and drop it onto the tab bar!
If I missed something or you have a favorite addon that I didn’t mention do let me know in the comments. Would You ?
Posted in On the Desktop | Tagged addons, bonus, Firefox, preferences, shortcuts, Tips, Tricks | 2 Comments »